American Metal & Parts, Co. has been a family-owned and operated business since 1948. Lou Rogers began the business after moving with his son Richard from Brooklyn, New York to North Carolina in 1948. Lou began a scrap metal business in Rocky Mount and Wilson in 1948. In 1952, he moved his family to the Raleigh area where he continued to buy and sell scrap metal in the town of Garner. Richard went into business with his father Lou and, years later, purchased a building on Warehouse Drive in Raleigh. Together they became one of the largest core suppliers for the rebuilding industries in North Carolina, and, along with this business area, continued to buy scrap metals. As the business grew, a larger facility became necessary. In 1970 Richard purchased a piece of land and larger building and moved the business back to Garner off of Highway US 70 East, which remains its current location. The business has been in operation at this location for over 40 years and is now run by Richard and his two sons, Tim and David. Tim joined the company in 1976 and David joined in 1984. The family continues to operate an environmentally friendly recycling facility, serves as a core supplier to the rebuilding industries, and has maintained its original roots by remaining involved in the scrap metal industries.